Our January “Item of the Month” is our potent essential oil based blend Lympha Rub. We use essential oils in a few products including ASMA, Soothing Salve, and Hear No Evil. (keep your eyes out- these may also be featured later this year as an “Item of the Month!”)
Introduction to Essential Oils (EOs)
* EOs are highly concentrated substances. For example, one drop of peppermint oil can be as potent as 10-50 cups of peppermint tea (depending on the brand of oil).
^ Because of the above, a little bit goes a long way! When used properly, one bottle of most EOs should last for a year or two.
* Always dilute your EOs. Oils should never be used “neat” (undiluted)- remember, a little bit goes a long way. Generally, a few drops will be utilized in any given preparation. (Our friend Katie over at Kitchen Stewardship has more in-depth information and ratios on her blog)
* Most EOs have a shelf life. Oils should be properly stored and maintained- ideally in a cold, dry spot and always in glass. (Oils can actually corrode plastic!) They do oxidize and can go bad. When an oil goes bad the smell will be off and it can cause adverse reactions. (Check out this great storage guide from Using Essential Oils Safely).
* If used properly, EOs can be used internally. Internal use should be supervised by a trusted practitioner (such as a certified aromatherapist, naturopath, herbalist or holistic doctor). There are many oils which should NOT be used internally.
* You CAN be allergic to an oil. There is a misconception that you can’t be allergic to EOs… this is simply not true. If you have an allergy to a known substance, it is best to avoid that oil. If you experience anything similar to an allergic reaction, stop using the EO in question!
If you want to know more there are a number of classes and resources available. One great resource will be coming available mid-September when the Ultimate Healthy Living Bundle releases, there are always e-Books on essential oils and usually at least one more in-depth course on oils (generally from Vintage Remedies). Plus we always have a freebie in the bundle!
Like this? You might also like the following blog posts: Top 10 Herbal/ Home Remedy Mistakes and Understanding the Various Forms of Herbal Preparations